Introduction

One of the most important factors that will decide if your campaign will either make a ton of $$$ or will fail miserably is your angle.

An angle is basically the whole flow that will take a visitor from your banner to the offer and hopefully convert him.
Many affiliates that aren’t very creative sometimes have trouble coming with new ideas. So instead they just try to copy / paste what’s out there and hope for the best.
I’ve seen many guides on how to split test landers, how to optimize but coming up with an angle is something that is not often talked about.
The Offer

It all started when I was trying to promote a mobile offer for Android called CleanMaster.

The offer pays about 55 cents on F5Media at street payout for each android install.
As I always do before investing any time in an offer , I ran a quick $50 direct linked test to see if the offer was converting.
Good news , direct linked with generic banners produced a -55% ROI! This means that with a good angle ( lander + ads ) and a better payout there is room to make it profitable.
The nice thing about this offer is that it’s generic enough to allow you to play with different angles.
Here’s the description on the Google Play Store :
"Trusted by 50 million users and growing, Clean Master is the number 1 powerful memory booster and trash cleaner to increase the speed of your Android device.
Memory Boost/Task Killer – Boosting apps and games speed is much easier with Clean Master.
Clean – Delete those junk files (cache and residual) that take up valuable storage space
Clear – Protect your privacy by deleting personal information like your search and browser history
App Management – Move apps to an SD card, remove pre-installed apps and backup .apk files"

So basically being a cleaner app you can make ads about the phone being infected by a virus , being slow , losing signal etc.
The Process

The way I would have gone about it in the past would be to come up with 3-5 different concepts ( virus / lost signs / slow phone etc) and run a first test.

Then after I had enough data to know which was the best concept I would have test 3-5 new landers based on the winning lander. Rinse and repeat till I had it profitable.
But thinking about it, it would take a lot of effort to come up and test all these landers. Between getting them coded and buying enough data I would have lost at least 4-5 days.
So I remember reading on the forums about creating a survey and let the users decide which is their main problem and build an angle around it.
After couple hours of reading articles about android and browsing android related forums I came up with a list of the most common problems in android devices.
Here they are :
* Slow performance/sluggishness
* Phone keeps hanging and freezes
* Battery is draining faster then it was before
* Phone signal/reception issues
* Unable to update Android updates
* Wi-Fi dropping or not connecting
* Phone getting hacked
* Virus/malicious code infection
* Someone reading my messages
* Unknowingly sharing my geo location
* Installing not trustworthy apps
* Mobile banking process

The Survey

So after coming up with this list, imagine how time consuming it would be to come up with a lander for each and buy data.

Instead I created a survey that users could express their opinion on what are their problems on android.
The hook used to get the users to fill the survey was a free $15 Google Play credit. That worked ok but I think I could have came up with a better one tbh.
Also, to make the most after the traffic bought , after users filled the survey they were sent to the offer itself and try to make some of the money spent back.
The Lander and Ads

So enough theory, here are some stats.

The lander that I used :
Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Note : In the real test, "Please Select just one Answer" was replaced with "Please Select ALL that Apply"
Final Screen :

As for the ads, since I ran this on AirPush , it was a pain to get any decent ads approved. So instead I used the only one that managed to get through.
The ad used :
Do You Want $15 in 15s?
Yes? Answer these 2 simple questions.

I know this ad is not the best, but after getting 15 ads disapproved I just wanted to see some data so went with this.
This ad got 2820 clicks, had a CTR of 2.8% and spent about $160 ( even though I paid only $50 because the rest was overflow and airpush refunded it).
From these clicks 2538 made it to the lander and only 183 through all the steps and to the offer.
I wish I tracked the CTR on each step but I rushed this and was really curious to see the data. So all I know is that 7.71%of the total visitors made it to the offer.
This is pretty bad for a normal lander but again I didn’t optimize ads / landers / publishers in this case.
Out of the 183 users that made it to the offer 56 converted, which is a whooping 30% conversion rate. Not bad at all!
To sum up, I spent about $160 ( which in reality paid only $50) to gather the opinions of 183 users and also make a $30 dollars revenue.
Not good for sure but also not too bad since the aim was to collect data and not be profitable.
The Survey Results

So finally to the juicy part. All this effort was done only to have this data.

Here is a screenshot of the results :

To be honest I was expecting the "Virus/malicious code infection" to win. I see those You Have (1) Virus ads everyday and thought advertisers would have done some research before.
This shows again that you can’t really assume anything about what works and what not.
The battery draining fast won with a 30% more votes than the second place.
Closing Thoughts

So to sum up since the post came up way longer than I initially planned. The most common problem as reported by the survey was "Battery is draining faster then it was before" followed by a second "Virus/malicious code infection" and third "Slow performance/sluggishness".

The next step after seeing this data is to try the first angle with 2-3 landers. If profitable or close to keep improving. Otherwise test the second angle "virus" and so on.
That’s all for now folks, hope this sparkled some new ideas for you.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Kevin Reviewed by Kevin on . Creative Ways for Crazy New Angles http://i.imgur.com/UQnpb9f.jpg Introduction One of the most important factors that will decide if your campaign will either make a ton of $$$ or will fail miserably is your angle. An angle is basically the whole flow that will take a visitor from your banner to the offer and hopefully convert him. Many affiliates that aren’t very creative sometimes have trouble coming with new ideas. So instead they just try to copy / paste what’s out there and hope for the best. I’ve seen Rating: 5